Traditional Style Pizza
Birrittella’s Traditional Style Pizza: An Easy Step by Step Recipe.
- 1 Pizza Stone OR Pizza Baking Pan
- 1 Birrittellas NY Traditional Style Dough
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 6 oz Freshly Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 cup Pizza Sauce
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Basil Leaves Optional
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Optional
- Be sure to allow your dough to come to room temperature before stretching. (About 2 hours)
- Preheat your oven to 475 degrees. If using a pizza stone, let it heat up for 20 mins in the oven.
- Flour your work area along with your dough.
- Begin pressing through the center working from the inside out to form the shape of your dough. Do this for a few minutes until your dough starts to widen out a bit.
- Then pick up your dough, place your fist in the center, then, using your other hand, pull away in a circular motion to stretch the dough. Repeat this about 5 times then place your dough down to rest for 5-10 mins.
- After resting, pick your dough up and repeat your circular stretching motion. By now it should be much easier to work with and should become about a 14”-16” wide pizza.
- Oil your pizza pan with olive and place your dough on top
- Add your pizza sauce and cheese.
- Bake for 20 mins or until crust becomes lightly golden and crispy. Each oven is different so be sure to check about halfway through.
- Add a minute or two more if necessary to bake.
- Remove from the oven and add your freshly grated parmesan and basil leaves. Enjoy!